Ipswich Family Dental Practice provides a range of professional general dentistry services for the whole family. We ensure that your teeth and general oral health is at its peak, which is why we offer the vital service of dental fillings in both our Ipswich and Brassall practices.
What are tooth fillings?
Tooth fillings are a dental device enabling the restoration of teeth damaged by decay back to their normal function, and helps to protect teeth from further decay. When a tooth is experiencing decay, cavities will form, which can cause your teeth to feel painful or sensitive to hot or cold. If cavities are left untreated, it might lead totooth loss. Dental fillings, as their name suggests, fill the cavity in your tooth.
Types of fillings
We offer a range of different materials for your tooth fillings in Brisbane, specifically:
- Gold: Sturdy and non-corrosive, gold is one of the best choices for fillings, but it might cost more than other types due to the high quality.
- Amalgam (silver): Strong and durable, however not as popular anymore as not many people like the look of silver gleaming in their mouths.
- Composite: Normally made of tooth-coloured mixtures of glass and resin for a more natural look, this is often the most common for visible areas of the teeth. However, composite fillings aren’t as durable as their metal counterparts, and may need to be replaced more frequently.
Your dentist will consider a few different factors when deciding on the best type of filling material for you, such as the extent of the repair, where in your mouth the filling is needed and the cost.
What to expect during dental fillings procedure?
Having dental fillings placed in cavities of your teeth is a rather routine procedure, and it involves:
- Local anaesthesia: To begin with, your dentist will apply a local anaesthetic to numb the area around the tooth so that you don’t experience any pain or discomfort.
- Removal of decay: Next, the dentist will cut through the enamel using a drill and remove any decay. Once the decay is removed from the cavity, the dentist will shape the space to prepare it for the filling.
- Etching: Your dentist will etch the tooth with an acid gel for a bonded tooth before placing the filling.
- Resin application: Depending on the type of filling you’re going for, your dentist will layer on the resin and harden it using a bright light to make it durable and strong.
- Polishing: Once the filling has been placed, your dentist will polish the tooth and you’ll be good to go.
CTA: Have a cavity? Contact Ipswich Dental Practice to schedule dental fillings in Brisbane today.