Toothaches can be caused by many things, but they all have one thing in common: they can disrupt your life, keep you awake at night and make you miserable.
Pain in your teeth means there’s a further problem that your dentist should know about, so make an appointment as soon as possible.
What Causes a Toothache?
The pain of toothache can range from a dull throb when you eat or drink, to constant severe pain combined with fever and feeling unwell.
The most common causes of dental pain are:
- Tooth decay – when it’s advanced enough to expose the nerve endings
- Dental abscess – an infection in the tooth or gum that needs immediate attention
- Dental trauma – from a blow to the face that cracks, breaks or chips a tooth
- Gum disease – which can damage the bone and cause teeth to become lose and painful
- Teeth grinding – or bruxism can make the teeth and jaw ache and undermine the supporting structures of your teeth
- Impaction – often the cause of wisdom tooth pain, where the tooth hasn’t emerged from the gums properly
How to Fix a Toothache
While it’s important to see your dentist as soon as you can, there are some things you can do to help alleviate the pain of toothache until your appointment.
If the pain or dental trauma is severe, seek emergency dental care right away to avoid more serious problems arising.
Some people find that gargling with warm, salty water can temporarily relieve pain and swelling.
Taking an anti-inflammatory analgesic in the correct dosage can provide relief, especially if you’re having trouble sleeping, as well as an icepack held against your cheek.
Ipswich Family Dental Care
At Ipswich Family Dental, we’ll quickly determine the cause of your toothache and offer a range of treatment solutions to relieve the pain and restore your smile.
To make an appointment to see one of our caring dentists about your toothache, or for emergency toothache relief, call Ipswich Family Dental on 07 3171 8402 (Ipswich) or 07 3319 5045 (Brassall). You can also visit our contact page to receive more information about our dental treatments.